Search This Blog

Studebaker M15A-20 "Mr. Potato Head"

Friday, February 28, 2014

Battery & Cable Upgrade

I upgraded my battery and cables. I chose two 6 volt Optima in parallel and 4/0 cables all around ( ). The cable is a bit stiff so planning was needed to make sure the terminals were oriented correctly. I used the Fusion terminals which are copper cast tin plated ( ). These terminals already have the solder and flux built into them so heating and inserting the cable is all that is needed. I wrapped the insulation in a wet rage to help reduce it melting and I covered the terminal ends with heat shrink ( ). Truck starts much better and I now have 1,600 CCA.

 Start solenoid connections

 Ground Connection

 Other ground lead connected to ground junction block

 Twin batteries connected in parallel

The black box is the relay box that I added to switch the high current loads, headlights, fog lights...
One hot lead goes to the start solenoid and the other (shown here) connects to a 60 amp Maxi fuse that then feeds the ammeter in the dash

No comments:

Post a Comment