Search This Blog

Studebaker M15A-20 "Mr. Potato Head"

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

6 Volt LED Headlights

Back when I bought headlights I bought Bill Hersch Halogen Headlights. They have been fairly good headlight but I wanted an LED equivalent. I wanted less current draw and a brighter bulb. So the other day one of the high beams went out so I did another search and found 6 volt H4 lights made in the UK. Just so happens that the Bill Hersch lamps are H4 so the swap seemed fairly easy. I was surprised that the LED headlights arrived in less than a week from the UK and I installed one today. Thought a A/B comparison would be good before installing the second. Sadly I didn't set the camera to manual exposure so the brightness comparison of the two is not accurate but I would say that the LED is brighter by 15% to 25%. The current draw of the LED lamps is a mere ~2.7 amps each.

 Bulbs came in a fancy box with a brown wrapper with customs declaration

 I bought H4s

Nicely packaged

 Two bulbs, two power supplies, bag of ty wraps, two extension cables, and instructions

 The old Halogen Bill Hersch H4 lamp and bulb

 Replace the old H4 lamp with the new H4 LED lamp. Note the big heat sink

 There was a bout 3/4" space behind the bucket to mount the power supply

 Auto punch, drill, tap for 4-40 machine screws

 Mount power supply

 Routing the cables. Kind of did a switch-a-roo with the bulb socket. the bulb socket is now on the outside of the bucket with the wires going into the bucket to connect to the power cable. The power supply then plugs into the bulb socket to get power. The LED bulb extension cable plugs into the power supply and is routed into the bucket to where it connects to the LED bulb.



 Bucket ready for installation

 Extension cable to the bulb

 Hooked up and ready to install the lamp assembly

 Lamp assembly installed ready for adjustment

The following images are with the truck about 15' from my shop door at about 9 PM. BTW the bulb has a fancy detent system so that you can rotate the bulb in the mount to get the pattern rotation you want.

 Low beam of the Halogen Lamp (left side)

 Here is low beam of the LED lamp (right side)

 High beam of the halogen (left side)

High beam of the LED (right side)





1 comment:

  1. John, I am very glad to see your posts again! You are one of the reasons for me to check this site every day!
    Jerry Johnson

    ReplyDelete